Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Dad

One of the nice things about having a blog is that you have a platform for paying a small public tribute to those who have made a difference in your life. On this Father's Day I'd just like to stop and remember my own Dad, Vince Sr., who has gone on to be with the Lord.

Everyone who knew my Dad remembers him for his big heart and his sense of humor, especially his ability to laugh at himself and his own foibles. He had lots of friends and he loved his family, and he made sure we kids knew all our aunts, uncles, cousins, and second cousins on both sides of the family. Just like the rest of us, my Dad wasn't perfect, but he was a good Dad and I never doubted his love for me, my brother and my sister.

My dad was a hard worker and a good provider. We always had a decent roof over our heads, food to eat and clothes to wear. He worked aerospace most of his life. When he got laid off at Lockheed, he got his foot in the door at Rocketdyne as a janitor and worked his way back up in the company to a place where he could use his experience and skills.

He like to cook, and he liked to eat and he liked to drink, but never alone and never to get into trouble. He loved his mariachis and he loved to dance. He wasn't a big movie-goer or a big reader, but he made sure there were lots and lots of quality books in the house for us kids. 

My Dad was also something of a sage in his own way. One adult memory I have of him is sitting together in a bar in Mexico City sharing a bottle of tequila. He said, "All I want after I am gone is for people to remember me, say a prayer for me, and sometimes put a flower on my grave."

I'm too far away to put a posey on his final resting place in San Diego, but I'm remembering him today and sending out the following prayer. Please pray for him as well -- and for your own father if he has also gone to his eternal reward :

V. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.

R. And may perpetual light shine upon him.

V. May the souls of the faithfully departed through the mercy of God rest in peace.

R. Amen.

If your dad is still around, make sure you call him, or if possible see him to give him a hug and say "Thanks Dad."

As for me, I say, "Thanks Dad. I miss you."

No comments:

Post a Comment