Friday, July 3, 2009

For Your Listening Pleasure...

I've been meaning to do this for some time (and I hope to do more of it in the future) but I thought I'd post a link every now and them to some free, downloadable audio talk (i.e. mp3) resources that I hope will inform and inspire those wanting to know more about, and practice more faithfully, the Christian (and specifically Catholic) Faith.

If you know me at all, you know that I'm a voracious reader of theology, history (Church and otherwise), devotional material, and the Scriptures (occasionally I'll slip some fiction in there, but it's really hard to find a good yarn that's not peurile or offensive to my morals or intelligence. It usually works out that I read the fiction books my kids are interested in reading so I can kind of screen it or at least be able to discuss it with them. I also occasionally force myself to read moronic but popular literature like "The Duh Vinci Code" or "Angels and Demons" so I can discuss those intelligently as well, but from an apologetics stand point. It's an odious task, but such is the life of an apologist.)

Anyway, there are certain limitations to when and where one can read a book, tract or magazine --say, like when driving, doing the dishes, cutting the grass, or working. For the times that life interferes in this manner, I have my ipod (Well, actually, the ipod that I reverse-inherited from one of my sons when he upgraded to a newer, more powerful, more enviable model). I have discovered, to my great joy, that there is literally no limit as to the number of quality, informative, entertaining and spiritually edifying talks out there that one can download for free to an ipod and listen to the heart's content (I used to put talks like these on CDs, but that seems so primitive and, like, 90's now.)

Today's recommendation is the bringto you/Evangelical Catholic Apologetics site, found here: http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/audio.htm

Here is the self-description from the website that says it better than I probably could:

Some audio talks, conversion stories, debates, and MP3 files I have found very interesting and helpful in understanding the Catholic faith. All Real Media files have been converted to MP3 audio...The first set are converted MP3 audio from the popular EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network) show The Journey Home hosted by Marcus Grodi (began Sept 1997). This program is dedicated to converts (or reverts) to the Catholic faith, many from Evangelical or Fundamentalist Protestant backgrounds, and during the hour long program the converts give their personal conversion stories and reasons for becoming Catholic. I have selected the programs I believe to be most impressive and interesting -- from the guest or show content or caller questions (or a combination of all three). I especially enjoyed and have included the ones that contain some useful and well-articulated Catholic "apologetics" content in my view.

The second set of MP3 audio files are some of my favorite archives from Catholic Answers Live. This is the radio program of the largest Catholic apologetics apostolate in North America.
The third set of audio are miscellaneous MP3 found on this web site. Topics include talks and commentary on the C.S. Lewis classic Mere Christianity; debates on atheism and other subjects with the evangelical Christian apologist and philosopher William Lane Craig, theologian Alister McGrath, and conservative author Dinesh D'Souza; critics of the Dan Brown novel The Da Vinci Code; some creation-evolution-intelligent design discussions and debates; rare Scott Hahn, Fr. Mitch Pacwa, and Karl Keating; rare Bob Lassiter airchecks (Tampa bay talk radio); debates on 9/11 conspiracies, and Scientology.

There's something here for everyone, even if you profess to be an agnostic or atheist. So tune in, turn on and get ready to be informed and inspired!



No comments:

Post a Comment